Cosplay Crazy

Cosplay Mania was held last Oct. 5 and 6 at the SMX Convention Center. And I’ve been to my fair share of cosplay events through the years, but not one this immense. It’s amazing what a lot of fan passion and creativity can do. 

Arriving at the venue, you can already see just how many people were anticipating the event. SMX overflowed of cosplayers and fans. The scene was painted with colorful characters and enormous props. Photographers had a field day! 

We entered the hall floor and it was like a festival. Merchants were selling all sorts of anime paraphernalia. From your usual shirts, books, posters and toys, to the less usual, like Harry Potter necklaces, Anime pillows, Captain America aprons, to sewing machines. Yup, sewing machines.

Cosplay Mania
For Sale: Bags, pillows, keychains…and aprons?!?!


Cosplay Mania
It’s a fes-TOY-val! 

Cosplay Mania
Dr. Who…everything.

One anime in particular was literally everywhere I looked – Shingeki No Kyojin. Merchants sold Shingeki  shirts, jackets, cloaks, toys, posters, keychains, and ofcourse, tons of cosplayers dressed up as their favourite characters from the show. I love Shingeki No Kyojin, but that was way too many people dressed up in survey corp uniform. It’s like going to a Halloween party with where everyone’s idea of a costume is being Psy.

Cosplay Mania
Shingeki No Costumes! 

Cosplay Mania
Shingeki No Gamit! Hoodies, jackets, bags, shirts, flags...I could go on and on.

But there were obviously some pretty good (and funny) ones. I was lucky enough to snap a pic of the ones I liked. And I don’t even think these were the best ones, since the best were all up at another hall for the contests. And one guy I wanted to take a picture of was Green Ranger. I looked for him so hard, but I couldn’t find him again. Oh, green ranger. Why you so elusive?

Luckily there was a guy there dressed in a teddy bear who was offering free hugs. (Pretty clever way to chansing) I found it pretty funny, while my girlfriend thought it was pretty creepy. Haha! (We later found out there was actually a group of them offering free hugs. Cos-pervs. Haha.)

Cosplay Mania Bear………………................................hug. 

  Cosplay Mania
 Slam Dunk’s Sakuragi and Brave's Princess Merida 

Cosplay Mania
Kamen Riders

  Cosplay Mania
Video game personalities: FFX’s Auron and Borderlands’ Krieg

Cosplay Mania
Mass Effect's Commander Shepard and Injustice's Superman

Cosplay Mania
......no clue who she is. But she preeeetty.

Even though we weren’t able to watch the stage shows (because it was a different payment from just being able to roam around the sellers’ hall), all in all, the event was pretty fun. The place was filled with artists in their own right. Artists who enjoyed 2 whole days of celebrating their favourite shows. The crowd was excited, friendly (sometimes too friendly), and proud, and you can’t help but feel the same way while being around them. The love for the genre was captivating. Who knows, maybe soon I’ll have my own costume to wear.:)

Cosplay Mania
Bett with Big Tinkerbell and me with Minecraft Iron Man

No comments:

Post a Comment